Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Xanax Wine Overnight Flights Planes Trains and A Mercedes

Occured August 18/19, 2008

Every time I plan a trip somewhere I always say that I love to travel, fly and none of the airport business bothers me. I must have a selective memory because as soon as I sat down in my cramped little seat and realized that there was no way I'd be able to see the in-flight movie I was already stressed. I always think about how great and exciting flying is and it is, but after take-off you the reality suddenly sinks in that you will be sitting in that same seat for the next 8.5 hours. Ugh. Naturally when the flight attendant asked me what I'd like to drink she had barely finished her sentence before I blurted out "Wine! Please!" My eagerness for something more than a teeny glass of Coke was matched by my seat mate as he quickly ordered a beer.

Ahhh.... wine and anti-anxiety pills make for a rather relaxing state of mind. My Dr told me specifically not to mix the two & to be fair, I did not. I took the Xanax 90min prior. Besides these pills were new to me so I had a trial run earlier that week to make sure I wouldnt take one and then be found drooling at the gate having missed my flight. No worries, these things did nada. So I thought why not have a glass of wine (or 3)?? No harm no foul. Although some time after dinner was served and some where over the Atlantic Ocean I managed to fall asleep.

I've never taken so many modes of transportation to get to and from someplace. On my way to Germany I drove to Chicago, got on a plane, landed in Frankfurt, took a tram from the tarmac to terminal, then 2 trains from Frankfurt to Freiburg where my Uncle picked me up in his Mercedes convertible that barely fit my luggage.

Finally - I was here! After I get some well needed time adjusting sleep I will head out to explore the beautiful city of Freiburg.

No comments: